Friday, December 2, 2011

Holiday Thanks

This last Thanksgiving I decided to visit my relatives, but instead of sending them love to change them, I decided to just let everyone be themselves. At the holidays last year, I discovered that it would take me about two hours of mentally sending love to change my crabby relatives into pleasant company.

This year I wanted to practice acceptance, which would allow me to experience them as they really are with clarity and understanding. At the first house, I had a delicious meal, learned about football and received a lecture on my selfishness. At my next family stop, I enjoyed good company and conversation but had to leave early to deliver medicine to my daughter, since she was home sick.

On the way there, my car caught on fire, so I pulled off the road, ran from it and dialed 911. Some wonderful strangers stopped to help and would not leave until after the fire truck left and the tow truck arrived. The firemen were happy to be there and help! They even joked about needing some exercise after their big Thanksgiving Day meal and would not leave until the tow truck arrived.

After meeting all of these great people in my time of crisis, I felt like a part of a community of love and support. This had been a wonderful ending to a day set aside for thanks, and I certainly felt grateful to God for my variety of life experiences.

No comments:

Post a Comment